Visiting the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum on the MSU Campus



Before the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum opened on Michigan State University's campus in East Lansing, MI, I couldn't say that I cared much for contemporary art. I have been interested in modern art since my teenage years, but contemporary art never caught my attention until 2013.


Through the frequent changes in exhibition at the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum, I have grown to appreciate contemporary art; it has taught me to value the new ideas and commentary artists are presenting through their work, as it challenges me to see the world through a different prism.

Via the Broad Art Museum website:

" the Broad MSU is a contemporary museum devoted to the exploration and exhibition of significant art from around the globe. This international focus is also supported by the contextualizing of contemporary art within the history of art by virtue of our historical collection. The Broad MSU is a place where artists’ ideas, words, and actions create a vibrant center for questioning and understanding the modern world."


The outside of this museum alone is worth seeing. The architecture is completely unique on MSU's campus. While some people feel the building is an eyesore that doesn't blend in with the campus, I welcome the refreshing change in scenery. The museum is right on Grand River Avenue and can't be missed.


Perhaps one of my favorite aspects of this building is that it seems to change shape and form depending on which direction you are coming from, or where you are standing.


This cultural gem in Mid-Michigan is free to visitors, and if you (like me) have children, there are monthly family days on Saturdays so that you can experience it with them. My girls have tagged along on a couple of these events, and there is plenty for the kids to do and keep them interested in the experience.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I read them all and will respond as quickly as possible.

On Instagram

© Nature Apart. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.